Thursday, September 14, 2006

Insights

This morning during my workout (yes, I made it tot he gym in time for a 45-minute workout on the elliptical), it really hit me that the temporary pleasure of straying off the Rice Diet is rarely worth the setback and hard work to recover. It's really important for me to stay focused here, because getting the weight off is key to my diabetes improving. Taking insulin is important for now, but it's a drag. I will do it faithfully as long as I need it, but I would love for my health to improve to the point that I can stop the injections.

At breakfast, I sat with four people I didn't know yet. The Ricers are a bit of a transient group, people are always coming for various times and returning home, so the dynamics are changing. The people I sat in classes with during my first week are leaving soon, if they're even still around, so that bonding experience is gone. I still try to glean what I can from others at meal time. One of my favorite questions at supper is, "Did you attend any of the classes today?" I try not to be judgemental, but ask for information's sake.

No comments: