Sunday, May 18, 2008

Lunch in Graham

Yesterday, George and I found ourselves in Alamance County. We stopped in Mebane (population about 9,000) first, where I joined the credit union that George joined last week based on where he works. Although I already do the credit union thing from my own job, I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a little cashola tucked a little (but not totally) out of reach. It also gave us a chance to open a joint savings account, which was a step in the right direction for our financial future as a couple. (We've been together five and a half years, living together for the past 11 months.) Our opening balance in the joint account is minimal, as we haven't decided how we're going to deposit money in it, what we're going to save together for, anything like that. We have time to decide, though. Not stressing over it.

Afterward, we went to nearby Graham, another small town. (With a population of about 14,000, it's not the largest city of the county, but it is the county seat of Alamance County.) George has been there for lunch a couple of times, and he wanted to show me around. It's a quaint little town, at least what we saw of the downtown district. The courthouse stands in the middle of the round-about traffic circle, with various side streets and businesses around. We ate in a cute little place called the Graham Soda Shop. It's a quaint place with that old soda shop appeal. I got a salad and a baked potato, a pretty healthy meal. My only gripe is that the salad came with bacon bits, which weren't listed as an item on the salad, or I would've had them leave the bacon bits off (not a big fan).

Afterward, George and I walked around and poked our heads into a couple of places. On our way back to the car, I decided I wanted to get a shot of the Graham Soda Shop sign, so I asked George to stand beside it. I was pulling out my camera when a lady walking by offered to take a picture of us together (the picture above). That was very thoughtful, so we agreed. Other than needing a comb for my hair, not a bad shot! :-)

No comments: