Monday, July 10, 2006

Books I Finished and Started Over the Weekend


Yesterday morning I finished Predator, by Patricia Cornwell. I started reading her books about 10 years ago, through a recommendation made by someone I met on a temp assignment. It's one of the best reading recommendations I've ever received! I haven't read any Cornwell for a while, so I was eager to see what this book had to offer. I was a little sad to see the book come to an end, mostly because I wanted a little more character development. I enjoy the main characters in Cornwell's books, and she left several things unresolved. Perhaps that's a way for me to pick up the next book in the series (when it comes out), but still, I finished the book wanting a little more information now! Too many loose ends for me!

After that, I started reading the book Privilege, by Ross Gregory Douthay. He's a Harvard grad, and it's about his time there. The book came across my desk recently at work, and thought it might be an insightful read in light of the recent Duke lacrosse party incident here in Durham. I've been thinking a good bit about the relationship between Duke and Durham. Many think Duke is full of elite and privileged kids. Durham is thought of as poor and crime-ridden. It makes me sad, and it makes me want to build bridges.

No comments: