Thursday, July 13, 2006

Looking for a new favorite book

For several years now, the book The Secret History, by Donna Tart, has been my favorite. I read it because it landed in my mailbox, part of a book club I belonged to at the time. I was immediately enthralled. I'm on my second or third copy, because the others have fallen apart from rereading. It's a book I enjoy returning to, like a familiar friend you can pick right up with, no matter how long it's been since you've talked. When I pick it up to read, sometimes I start fom the beginning, and sometimes I find a certain passage and go from there. Most times, I pick up a tidbit I've missed or forgotten. Rumors have been circulating that the book will be made into a movie, but I almost hope it doesn't happen. Sometimes I try to figure out who would play which character, but I have yet to pick my entire cast of choice.

Now, I'm on a search for a "new best friend" among books. While The Secret History will always hold a special place on my bookshelf, there are just so many books out there. Working in acquisitions in a major research library, I should know! :-) If there's a new favorite book to be found, I'd love to find it. I'm sure the search will be filled with lots of interesting reading.

No comments: