Monday, July 09, 2007

Books Finished on Vacation

Rethinking Thin: the New Science of Weight Loss--and the Myths and Realities of Dieting, by Gina Kolata
I enjoyed reading this book, though it didn't mention the Rice Diet, and it was, overall, a bit discouraging about dieting, really. The book mentions a lot of obesity/diet studies over the decades, as well as a more recent study at Penn of Atkinds vs. low-calorie dieters over two years. According to the book, most people who lose any amount of weight gain it back. Yeesh! How can I beat the odds?
Leaving Church: a Memoir of Faith, by Barbara Brown Taylor
I just learned of Taylor recently, although apparently she's a popular read among some mainstream church-going circles. Having considered going into the ministry myself, I really enjoyed reading about her journey to and from the pulpit.

No comments: