Wednesday, June 04, 2008

What I've Been Reading

I've enjoyed reading more lately, something I've been meaning to do for a while but have let my free time be gobbled up by other things. Earlier this week, I finished the book, The House at Midnight, by Lucie Whitehouse. It's her first book, and for a debut novel, it's a good one. Once I got into it, I really enjoyed it, and right after I finished it, I thought, "Good book!"---but with some nagging something or another. I think I was expecting a little more character development and conflict resolution that didn't quite happen like I was hoping. For instance, I never quite figured out why the book has its title. Yes, the house gives the protagonist a sense of forboding throughout the book, and the house seemed a little creepier at night, but I don't recall midnight being a magical hour, or the time stamp of a riveting scene. There were a few instances like where some of the connection seemed to be missing. (Maybe that was supposed to be part of the suspense.)

One reason I picked it to read is that I'd seen it was compared to Donna Tartt's The Secret History, one of my favorite books. The House at Midnight wasn't quite up to that standard, but I can see the comparison, since it revolves around a group of college friends and include big houses (The house doesn't play as big a role in The Secret History.)

No comments: