Monday, February 01, 2021

The Power of a Book (and Girl Scouts)

 


Yesterday I finished the book Troop 6000, The Girls Scout Troop that Began in a Shelter and Inspired the World. I borrowed this book from the library via OverDrive, because I enjoyed Girl Scouts as a kid, and continued to be interested in the organization. 

This book turned out to be about homelessness too, and that was a strong and stirring message. Families in this book (like thousands of other homeless people) really struggled, despite working hard and asking their families and friends for support. I thought this book was going to be a lighthearted book about Girl Scouting, but it turned out to be a lot more (and eye-opening) for me.

I've done some research on homelessness in my area, and there are some ways to donate and volunteer. Meanwhile, I've bought/donated cookies from Troop 6000.